Thursday, September 3, 2015

Cadillac Ranch

Cadillac Ranch is a piece of art that was created in 1974 by the art group, Ant Farm. It sits on a piece of land in the middle of Amarillo, TX, and is a popular road trip destination. We had never been there before, so on our way back from visiting my brother in Lubbock (which you can read all about here) we decided to take a little detour to go see it. It added on about an hour to our drive home, but it was so worth it.

The Cadillacs that make up this piece of art are there for you to spray paint, so we of course had to stop at Home Depot to pick up some spray paint. I picked out a lilac, Zac (my little brother) picked out a dark green, Kaitlin (my little sister) picked out a navy blue, and my mom chose a bright yellow (so that she could tag all of the cars with yellow ribbons, in support of childhood cancer awareness).

Zac realizing that it may have been a bad idea to climb on top of one of the cars while my mom catches it all in pictures.
Can you spot the ribbon?
It's crazy to think that people have been spray painting these cars since 1974.

After spending nearly an hour out in the extreme heat of Texas, spray painting our initials onto all of the cars (I promise, it's a lot more fun than it may sound like) we all loaded back into the rental car, and began the million hour drive home. I would most definitely recommend making a stop at Cadillac Ranch if you ever find yourself near Amarillo, TX. You won't regret it.

-Melissa P. Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment